Sunday, January 17, 2010

Tonight's culinary disaster brought to you by the letter "P"

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Raisin Muffins. Who could think of a more delicious disaster. Where did it all go wrong? Could it have been the fact that I used 1/2 cup rather than 1/3 cup peanut butter? I come from the school of "more of a good thing = more goodness" or "more goodness, more better". Or maybe it was the fact that my oven sucks! Two months later, and I'm still learning my way around this electric nightmare. It never heats to the right temp, blows hot air from the oven through one of the stove eyes.  I miss my gas stove in LA :(

So, the muffins...recipe claims 20-25 minute cooking time, I cooked to 20 which, turns out, was too long. They are quite crispy on the outside, a bit dry inside. Nothing a little butter and jelly can't make better. But, my dedication to the cultivation of new reasons to use peanut butter are so strong that I am going to keep trying until I get this one right!
Anyway, the recipe: 

Peanut Butter Oatmeal Raisin Muffins

1 cup All-purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Baking soda
1 cup Rolled Oats, not instant
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
3/4 cup Milk
2 Eggs
1/3 cup Peanut butter (I used 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup Maple syrup
1/2 cup Raisins

In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, oats, raisins and cinnamon. In a separate bowl, combine egg, milk, peanut butter, and maple syrup. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ones until just moistened. Pour into greased muffin tins and bake at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes.

Recipe modified from vegweb.com and is in no way representative of the quality of their recipes. Love, not hate.

And here are how mine looked:






No comments: